Adolescence can throw some challenges to the mental wealth of young people and the pandemic has definitely triggered some new unexpected dynamics that adults might be unsure on how to handle.
In partnership with the Mental Wealth Academy, Oxfordshire Youth is therefore delivering online Mental Health Awareness Training for Parents and Carers of young people.
The training happens monthly and it’s free for Oxfordshire residents.
The session primarily considers the mental health of adolescents and young adults, aiming to help parents and carers to:
- Identify emotional distress
- Know where, and how, to signpost children and young people if you, or they, have a concern
- Learn practical strategies to help with listening to, and supporting, children and young people
- Develop your understanding of the wide range of factors and variables that can impact on children and young people’s mental health
- Feel more confident and less fearful having ‘the conversation’ with your child or young person
The session lasts 1.5 hours and includes presentations and group work, providing the opportunity to speak with other parents and carers about young people’s mental health.